The tilery in Les Milles – Memorial site of the Milles Camp.

Historic site and monument Industrial site
  • 13SI000112_1_HD.jpg
  • 13SI000112_2_HD.jpg
  • 13SI000112_3_HD.jpg


The tile factory of Les Milles was founded in 1882 in a context marked by the increasing industrialization of the production of tiles and bricks. In 1939, the tile factory stopped working for economic reasons.
Located on the outskirts of Aix-en-Provence, the village of Les Milles is encircled by clay lowlands propitious to terracotta objects crafting.

The proximity of water brought by the Arc River is essential to the crafting of tiles and bricks, as it influences the quality of clay.
The arrival of railways at Les Milles will allow the supplying of energy: coal from Gardanne, and the transportation of the end products.
With all conditions gathered an industrial tilery was born in Les Milles.

The tilery of les Milles is created in 1882, in a context of industrial growth in the tiles and bricks industry. In this three story building, tiles and bricks were manufactured. In 1939, for economic reasons, the tilery ceased to operate.

Thus, when the war started, the place was already closed. The French state, looking for a place to detain political enemies of allied countries, was then able to use it freely.

Firstly, only men were detained, but progressively, women and children were brought along (only on the second floor of the building). After the war, in 1947, manufacture of bricks restarted until 1992. The spot was closed once and for all in 2002. The Lafarge group, last owner of the place, sold it to the Fondation pour la Mémoire de la Shoah.

The Milles camp was then restored and became, since late 2012, an open to the public Memorial-Site aiming at educating people about fraternity and respect toward others.
General information
  • Park :
    • Park
The tilery in Les Milles – Memorial site of the Milles Camp.
40 Chemin De Badesse
mail / message
Fields with an asterisk * must not be left blank
My request
Your Contact Details
In accordance with Law No. 78-17 of 6 January 1978 of the National Committee for Information Technology and Civil Liberties (CNIL) with regard to computing, files and liberties (article 36), the interested party is entitled to ask for his/her personal information to be rectified, completed, clarified, updated or deleted if it is inaccurate, incomplete, ambiguous, elapsed or in respect of which it is forbidden to use, disseminate or store said information. Should you wish to exercise this right, please specify the fact in the form above.
La tuilerie des Milles - Site Mémorial du Camp des Milles
40 Chemin De Badesse
GPS coordinates
Latitude : 43.503236
Longitude : 5.382306
We also suggest...
A large French internment and deportation camp (1939-1942) still intact and accessible to the public, the Camp des Milles now houses a historical ...
  • Cultural leisure facilities :
    • Exhibition space