Place des Prêcheurs

Historic site and monument
  • 13SI000170_1_HD.jpg
  • 13SI000170_2_HD.jpg
  • 13SI000170_3_HD.jpg
13SI000170_1_HD.jpg13SI000170_2_HD.jpg13SI000170_3_HD.jpg

Presentation

The square is in front of the Palais de Justice. It was laid out in the 15th century and was the centre of public and social life before Cours Mirabeau was created.
About 1640, the architect Jean Lombard continued the work begun by Jean de Paris, when the town was expanded with the creation of the Villeneuve district, by setting the eastern side of Place des Prêcheurs against the large cornerstone buttresses. The Prêcheurs fountain was decorated with four medallions by Jean Pancrace Chastel in 1748. They were destroyed in 1793, then restored in 1833 in large part thanks to an American patron.

The Madeleine church was built between 1691 and 1703 by Laurent Vallon. The façade was added between 1855 and 1860, with a monumental design by Revoil. The church was listed in 1988. It contains a large number of works by artists who lived in Aix, including the exceptional Annunciation Altarpiece (1444), which can now be seen in Saint-Esprit church (Rue Espariat) during restoration work to the building. This is where Paul Cézanne was baptised in 1839, his parents were married in 1844 and his wife Rose married the lawyer Maxime Conil in 1881.

(Fountain listed in 1905 - Church listed in 1988)

The redevelopment of the Verdun and Prêcheurs areas gave rise to the biggest square in Aix-en-Provence.
General information
  • Style :
    • Renaissance
Services, Tours, Activities and entertainment
  • Historical patrimony :
    • Historic patrimony
    • Square
Contact
Place des Prêcheurs
Place des Prêcheurs
13100
Aix-en-Provence
loading
FICHE_INFO_SIMPLE_LIBELLE_DESTINATION
Place des Prêcheurs
Place des Prêcheurs
13100
Aix-en-Provence
GPS coordinates
Latitude : 43.528921
Longitude : 5.451029
We also suggest...
Historic site and monument
In the 16th century, the architect Jean de Paris, Controller of the Royal Buildings, designed the Villeneuve district, to the east of the city, with a...