The Church of Our Lady of the Sea is the soul of the village.
This fortress church, built in the 9th and 11th centuries on an old Gallo-Roman sanctuary, replaced an oratory that, according to legend, was erected by the Saints. This site was fortified in order to withstand attacks by the Saracens. Human figures can be seem emerging from the capitals decorated with plant motifs. The crypt (1448) houses Sarah, patron saint of Gypsies, covered with robes and coats. The boat of the Saints Marys is in the left alley of the church. The 4th BC century pagan altar in the crypt is also remarkable.
Accessible for disabled
Opening period (s)All year round, daily between 9 am and 7 pm.
- Parking :
- Parking nearby
- Client profile :
- Tour language(s) :
- Visits :
- you can visit it
- Average group visit length (minutes) : 90
- Price :
- Style :
- Park :
- Theme :
Services, Tours, Activities and entertainment
- Individual tour services :
- Unguided individual tours available permanently
- Group tour services :
- Guided group tours on request
- Unguided group tours available permanently
Free of charge. Visiting the interior of the church is free of charge, however to go up to the terrace of the church it costs 3 Euros.
Eglise des Stes Maries de la mer
Place De l'Eglise
Latitude : 43.451726
Longitude : 4.42792