Mas de la Samatane

Historic site and monument Walled town
  • Vue extérieure
test

Presentation

The Samatane building was the first magnificent Mas to be built in the commune and was a former coaching inn known as the Auberge de Chatillon. This name is demonstrated by the term Coussoul de Chatillon, which designates the location.
In 1791, the property belonged to the Church and was confiscated and auctioned off. The Coussoul de Chatillon belonged to the Commandery of Trinquetaille of the Order of Malta. The land had different owners after 1798, but in 1825 was given over to Mr. Gontard, a master jeweller from Marseille. It was Mr. Gontard who constructed the buildings and hence the inn we know today.
The 1837 inscription on the fanlight of the main entrance, with the intertwined initials LS, suggests that Louis de Samatan bought the property on this date. The 400 ha taken from the land of the Coussouls de Chatillon were acquired by a single tenant in one transaction.
It remains a remarkable Mas, consisting of a splendid building and land that is still cultivated (despite a considerable reduction in surface area). The Maison de la Chasse et de la Nature (Hunting and Nature Museum) moved there several years ago and even received the Départemental 'Rubans du Patrimoine' Award in 2007.
Opening period (s)All year round, daily.
Contact
Mas de la Samatane
RN 113
13310
Saint-Martin-de-Crau
Phone : 04 90 55 12 56
Fax : +33 4 90 55 72 93

Tarifs

Free of charge.
loading
FICHE_INFO_SIMPLE_LIBELLE_DESTINATION
Mas de la Samatane
RN 113
13310
Saint-Martin-de-Crau
GPS coordinates
Latitude : 43.640058
Longitude : 4.91724