Chapelle des Tremaë

Historic site and monument Religious heritage, Chapel Religious site
  • Chapelle des Trémaïe
  • Chapelle des Tremaïe
  • Chapelle des Tremaïe
  • Chapelle des Tremaïe
Chapelle des TrémaïeChapelle des TremaïeChapelle des TremaïeChapelle des Tremaïe

Presentation

At the foot of the Les Baux rock, to the east, is the site of Les Trémaïe.
A stele cut into the rock represents three characters in Roman dress. For centuries, it was traditionally thought to be the Roman general Caius Marius, his wife Julia, Caesar's aunt, and Martha, their supposed prophetess. In the mid-19th century, the increase in popular piety and the will of the local clergy made this stele a place of homage to the 'Three Marys' According to Christian tradition, Saints Mary Magdalene, Mary Jacobe and Mary Salome (the Three Marys) came ashore in Les Saintes Maries de la Mer in order to evangelise Provence. In the mid-19th century, the site became a place of worship and annual pilgrimage, on 25 May, but was later abandoned. It followed a path which descended from Saint Vincent Church via the Porte d’Eyguières, passed under the Les Baux rock to the south and led to the chapel in the east. It then climbed the main street as far as the village church. The pilgrimage has been reintroduced, but without the procession. The path still exists and provides a pleasant walk around Les Baux (approximately 2 kilometres and a 150 metres change in altitude). The Trémaïe are sculpted in a rock to the south-east of the Baux-de-Provence plateau, below the Château des Baux. According to the Prefect of Les Bouches-du-Rhône, Christophe de Villeneuve-Bargemon, this rock fell from the plateau. It measures 7.6 by 4.5 metres. The bas-relief is sculpted in a niche measuring 2 by 1.35 metres; this niche is also sculpted and adorned with acroteria. The Trémaïe bas-relief is 4 metres above ground level, just above the chapel roof. It portrays three people: one man and two women, all life-size. The statues measure between 1.75 and 1.83 m. The heads of the two off-centre people are turned slightly towards the central character. An adjoining chapel, the Trémaïe Chapel, was built in 1845. It was extended in 1873. The fresco which adorns it was created in 1879. The chapel was restored in 1987 and returned to the Church in 2003.
Opening period (s)All year round, daily.
General information
  • Visits :
    • you can visit it
Services, Tours, Activities and entertainment
  • Individual tour services :
    • Unguided individual tours available permanently
  • Group tour services :
    • Unguided group tours available permanently
  • Historical patrimony :
    • Historic patrimony
    • Ruins and remains
Contact
Chapelle des Tremaë
13520
Les Baux-de-Provence
mail / message
Phone : 04 90 54 34 39
FICHE_INFO_SIMPLE_ECRIRE_MESSAGE
Fields with an asterisk * must not be left blank
My request
Your Contact Details
In accordance with Law No. 78-17 of 6 January 1978 of the National Committee for Information Technology and Civil Liberties (CNIL) with regard to computing, files and liberties (article 36), the interested party is entitled to ask for his/her personal information to be rectified, completed, clarified, updated or deleted if it is inaccurate, incomplete, ambiguous, elapsed or in respect of which it is forbidden to use, disseminate or store said information. Should you wish to exercise this right, please specify the fact in the form above.

Tarifs

Free access.
loading
FICHE_INFO_SIMPLE_LIBELLE_DESTINATION
Chapelle des Trémaïe
13520
Les Baux-de-Provence
GPS coordinates
Latitude : 43.743369
Longitude : 4.797155